Sunday, November 9, 2008

Third Observation 11/9

The First thing I noticed (before I looked under the microscope) was that the water level was much lower than it was from last week. There was also a lot of dirt scattered throughout like someone had shaken it up. 

When I looked under the microscope I saw that it looked like an earthquake had come through. The scum layer on the bottom was smaller, and there was scum scattered all over the bottom layer. 

The third thing I noticed was that there was not as much activity towards the bottom as there had been in previous weeks. However, I did see what I think were two nematodes. They were different from each other. One had very spastic-like and jerky movements and I lost sight of it. The second one was longer and less spastic than the first. 

The fourth thing I saw was the biggest organism I have seen yet. It was a midge. I moved across and all I saw at first was huge blob. I was able to follow it once I got an idea for how big it was. I believe it was a larvae. 
"The midges constitute undoubtedly the largest single complex of aquatic Diptera. Their larvae, with no better apparatus than a few blood gills at the end of the abdomen, and their pupae, with nothing better than "tube gills" protruded from the prothoracic spiracles, are able to live in all waters, " (Fresh Water Biology, 914). 

Citations:

Ward, Henry, and George Whipple. Fresh Water Biology. 1st. New York: John 
Wiley and Sons Inc., 1918.


No comments: